Hand Tool Headlines
The Woodworking Blogs Aggregator
An aggregate of many different woodworking blog feeds from across the 'net all in one place! These are my favorite blogs that I read everyday...
TW Design Shop
Naturally I started with the foundation.
I couldn't find balsa wood in the correct scale for dimensional lumber or the size of the structural steel for the trailer (which I've made out of wood) so I milled my own.
The wheels themselves are laser cut, the wheel wells are 3D printed from a CAD model I created. I may wind up building a fleet of these things so having the ability to hit the button on a few dozen highly complicated parts makes my life a lot easier.
The trailer is built faithfully to the new Tumbleweed trailer, and as many of the construction details as possible will go into this model. The goal is a cutaway/breakaway model that can show all the elements of construction from trailer, insulation, subfloor, framing, sheathing, utilities, electric, roofing, windows and entry... Even the kitchen sink, which I'm entertaining the idea of producing molds to stamp small aluminum sinks. To answer further questions, yes, I'm going over the top with this.
Our scale, this is one of the building boards I'm using as "full scale" plans, it includes trailer plan view and wall framing elevation, and a ruler down to one inch increments that is 20' long for layout of material.
Pile of 2x4s freshly sawn from spruce.
The first group of studs for the long wall, match planed to identical length.
I cleared out a lot of the tools I wasn't using, and have gone back to basics in a lot of ways. I've started cutting wood for the Dutch tool chest, and begun the dovetailing, I also tuned up my 3/4" dado plane and it's working sweetly. Here is the progress from the last two evenings...
Here is the first side of the Dutch chest set out and dovetailed. I've been trying to find more nice clear 1x12s at the borg but none as nice as these so far. My cutlist for the chimney cupboard from the recent issue of PWM needs about 3 times the wood of this project. So I started here.
I never tire of this shot, for those of you that follow the blog this row of dovetails ready to be cut will look familiar.
The first dado is done, this is for the division between the till and lower compartment. I am thinking about putting a drawer in here. perhaps for all the marking and layout tools.
Tomorrow I plan to run the other dado, and cut the pins on the bottom.